I finished and qualified for Boston!

Race report November 2, 2008

The start: Woke up at 4:45am, drank coffee, got dressed and headed to the subway. Took the 6:30am Staten Island ferry and then shuttle bus to the start at Fort Wadsworth. Ate a banana, cinnamon raisin bagel, 1/2 power bar, and some water. The start was crowded and quite windy. I curled up on a curb and put my blanket over me like a tent to keep warm. I was scheduled to the 1st wave start at 9:40am, so about 40 minutes prior I started looking for my corral. However, I began hearing announcements that said “wave 1 corrals are now CLOSED – if you are not in a corral you will have to wait for the 2nd wave start at 10am”. I started freaking out! If I had to start in wave 2 at 10am – I would be with much slower runners and my family and friends might not be able to find me (I was very specific about when I would be passing certain mile markers). Luckily a nice volunteer let me duck under a barricade to catch up with wave 1 runners. Phew! We stood on the bridge for about 30 minutes and everyone began tossing their sweatshirts, pants, etc.

The race: After the national anthem was sung, a cannon boomed, and Frank Sinatra’s “New York, New York” began playing. We were off! The first mile was pure adrenaline, but I was conservative – 8:35. The second mile, however, was down hill and probably too fast – 7:25. eek! The next few miles flew by and despite some knee/IT band twinges I felt great. I ate a pack of clif shot bloks between miles 8 through 15. Around mile 13 I stopped to pee in a port-a-potty (~30 seconds) and I hit the halfway point (13.1 miles) in 1:46:36 After running over the Queensboro bridge and rounding the corner on to 1st avenue I saw my mom, sister, and Hannah. I was still feeling great! However, around mile 18 my legs started to feel the pounding, ugh. For the next 8 miles they felt like jell-o and I knew my muscle glycogen was depleted. I had a chocolate power bar gel at mile 20. For the next few miles I was in a daze – luckily the weather was beautiful (sunny and 50 degrees) and I just let the crowd carry me a long. For miles 21-23, I had some great support from Saturday, Tom Hammer, Nate, and some CPTC spectators. FINALLY, we were in the last mile – I saw my mom, sister, and Hannah (and Mad Dog!) again more at mile 25.5 on Central Park South. I crossed the line in 3 hours, 38 minutes, and 41 seconds.
Post-race: After I finished I felt quite dizzy and lightheaded. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so depleted in my life. I told a volunteer that I was going to pass out and he said “no, you’ll be fine. you look better than any of the finishers i’ve seen in the last hour”. umm. lucky for him i did not throw up on his shoes. Volunteers passed out mylar space blankets, medals, and food bags. I ate an apple and some gatorade and met up with Nate (gave me warm clothes!) and my family. We proceeded on to Firehouse for burgers and then I came home, showered, and was asleep before 8pm!

Room for improvement: more carbohydrates & salt (and maybe less halloween candy) in the days leading up to the marathon, try to drink more during the race, do at least one long training run of 21-22 miles, and do more core strength work and stretching (IT band!!) during training.

Apple Crisp, yum!

Beautiful crisp jona-mac apples.
Apple Crisp recipe:

Ingredients –

5 medium apples, sliced

1/2 cup sugar

6TB butter(or smart balance)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup oatmeal


Directions –

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Slice apples and place them in pie plate

Sprinkle apples generously with cinnamon

Mix together oats, flour, and sugar (and more cinnamon!)

With a fork, cut butter in to dry mix

Top apple slices with crumb mixture

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is crispy and apples are tender

Cool for 15 minutes – enjoy!

Marathon Monday: Red Velvet Cake from Penelope Bakery

Flowers, finisher’s medal, and heat sheet.

CPTC uniform and race number #13462.

Pre-race dinner: whole wheat bagel, peanut butter, honey, and banana.The night-before-the-night before: oatmeal, soymilk, raisins, and peanut butter.


One Response

  1. […] but I think things are finally starting to turn around. Even though I’m signed up for the NYC Marathon on November 1st, I’m going to defer until next year. As much as I’d love to be running […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: